Stopped Organ Pipe with Three Manometric Flames
Accession Number: 2013.ph.624
This prismatic wooden pipe has three black wooden spouts evenly spaced along one side of its body. On another side a rectangular slat of wood is attached with screws. There are two brass spouts and one wooden spout protruding along this wooden slat. At the base of the pipe is a round wooden foot.
Primary Materials: Wood: Pine, Mahogany; metal
Near foot: “RUDOLPH KOENIG À PARIS”. Along the body of the pipe, from foot to end, : “13”, “V3″, N3”, V.
Near the foot, the pipe is marked pen, handwritten: “214”. This refers to the pipe’s entry in Koenig’s 1873 catalogue.
Dimensions (cm): Height = 80cm, Width = 10, Length = 7.8
To demonstrate the different locations of nodes of vibration when different octaves are sounded.
Good. Some minor scratches and abrasions along the body of the pipe.
Manufacturer: Rudolph Koenig
Date of Manufacture: c.1878
These pipes are part of a collection of acoustic teaching apparatus purchased from Rudolph Koenig by University of Toronto professor of physics James Loudon. These pipes were probably part of Loudon’s initial 1878 purchase, and form part of a comprehensive selection of organ pipes “representing a… demonstration of every possible organ pipe effect.” (Pantalony, Altered Sensations. New York: Springer, 2009. Pg 119-122). These were likely used by students for investigations of acoustical properties at the university’s physics department teaching laboratory.
See David Pantalony, Altered Sensations: Rudolph Koenig’s Acoustical Workshop in Nineteenth-Century Paris (New York: Springer, 2009), pg 318.
- Donated to UTSIC