A black metal cylindrical magnet which is 9.5cm in diameter, on the tripod legs with leveling screws. On top of the cylinder there are 2 brass terminals and in between the two terminal there is a label “#717 R=135.3Ω”, while on the side of the cylinder there is a marking “II E”; In front the cylinder there is a box approximately 7×4.5cm in diameter with a round flat glass window and brass tube projecting out from the top, it is approximately 9cm tall.
Accession Number: 2009.ph.190
Primary Materials: Metal, Glass
Around the glass window there are labels “CAMBRIDGE & PAUL INSTRUMENT CO. LTD. ENGLAND”, ” Nl-“, “CLAMP”, and “c18173”.
Height = 19, Width = 15.5, Length = 16.5
Function: Precision Electrical Measurement
Manufacturer: Cambridge Instrument Co. Ltd. England
Date of Manufacture: 1920-1924
This artifact was part of a collection of electrical instruments (mostly brass electrometers and ballistic galvanometers) gathered by University of Toronto Professor of Physics Martin J.G. Lee (d. 2009). The collection was likely acquired from Dr. Lee’s office c. 2010 or 2011.
Additional Information and References: