This object consists of a long black plastic piece with with a white glass rectangular base surrounded on one side with a metal bracket. When removed, the glass surface can be removed to reveal a fluorescent lightbulb. The black plastic top is molded at the ends and higher in the middle. Rising out of the centre of the highest point there is a metal bracket to which there is attached a circular dish-like piece with a metal piece protruding through the middle. Also on top of the black piece there are two switches which pop up when depressed. One is labelled, “OFF”, the other “START”.
A two-pronged power cable emerges from the top of the black piece.
Accession Number: 2019.ast.167
Alternative Name: UV Lamp
Primary Materials: Plastic, Metal: Iron Alloy, Glass
On a plastic label affixed below the dish: “BURTON MEDI-QUIP CO.
VAN NUYS, CALIF.
CSA APP No 3378”
And on a sticker affixed over this: “1312”
This is probably an ultraviolet lamp. Its precise use (and the purpose of the disc attachment) is unknown.
Excellent: This is an attachment to a large apparatus or piece of equipment that is missing. It is dusty but in good condition. The plastic dish attachment is scuffed and the metal at its centre is considerably rusted; however the bracket that attaches it is not rusty.
Manufacturer: Burton Medi-Quip Co.
Date of Manufacture: Late 20th Century
This object was likely moved from the David Dunlap Observatory in Richmond Hill in 2008, upon the sale of the observatory. It was stored at the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics until 2017, when it was moved to a new storage location in McLennan Physical Laboratories.
Additional Information and References: