This is a rectangular metal sign with screws holes at each of the corners and then in the centre of the top and bottom edges; there are screws in all of these but one. There is a red string attached to each screw that wraps around to the rear of the sign.
One side of the sign is a professional moulded sign with silver letters raised above a stippled black surface that reads: “GRUBB-PARSONS
The other side of the sign is painted silver and has the word “DOME” hand-painted on it with black paint.
Accession Number: 2019.ast.240
Primary Materials: Metal: Iron Alloy.
In raised moulded letters: “GRUBB-PARSONS
On the other side, hand-painted: “DOME”
Dimensions (cm): Height = 2.5, Width = 26, Length = 61.
This sign was likely attached to the David Dunlap Observatory 74″ telescope, or nearby. It was then re-used to label the David Dunlap Observatory dome.
Poor: The black paint (?) surface on the formed side is cracked and coming off as a black powder. The metal underneath is corroded, although not rusted. The painted side shows signs of wear on the paint surface in the form of some small marks and scratches, however, this side is in better condition. The string attached to the screws is frayed in places. There are traces of white string along with the red.
Grubb-Parsons, Newcastle-on-Tyne, England
Date of Manufacture: c. 1933
This sign was likely attached to the David Dunlap Observatory 74″ telescope, or nearby. It was then re-used to label the David Dunlap Observatory dome. When the Observatory was sold by the University of Toronto in 2009, it was moved to storage at the Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics at U of T’s St George Campus. In 2017 it was moved to a new storage location in the McLennan Physical Laboratories.
Additional Information and References: