The Curative Powers of Electricity Demonstrated

This pamphlet, extolling the medical virtues of electricity, was produced by the Toronto  Medical and Electro Therapeutic Institute in 1877.

In 1876, Jenny K. Trout, M. D. (1840-1921), Ontario`s first licensed female physician, opened the Toronto Electro-Therapeutic and Medical Institute along with Emily Amelia Tefft. At its height, 60 live-in female patients were treated using ‘galvanic baths’, which involved submerging patients in tubs of water and applying a weak electric current to the whole body.

Source: Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library