The first edition of Dr. Grant’s anatomical atlas was published in 1943. It displays his strong commitment to faithfully depicting individual specimens. This contrasted with the more common practice of producing generalized representations of idealized body parts. Images were produced by first photographing the specimens, then creating detailed line drawings and carbon-dust drawings based on those photographs. Many of the original specimens used in Grant’s Atlas are still held at the University of Toronto.
Source: University of Toronto Libraries